Spring Concert At The Buffalo Religious Arts Center
Date: April 18th at 7pm
The Buffalo Religious Arts Center is hosting a Spring Concert featuring organ, harpsichord and violins.
The concert will be hosted by Scott Hyslop, Director of Parish Music at St. Lorenz Lutheran Church at Frankenmuth, Michigan.
Dr. Hyslop called us a few years ago to ask if he could play the historic Schlicker Organ. This will be his second concert at the Art Center. This organ was installed at the former St. Francis Xavier church in 1935. Niagara Organ Works tells us that it still has all of its original parts and has been well preserved. This organ is listed in the Organ Historical Society Pipe Organ Database.
This concert will also feature harpsichord and violins and will highlight music by Handel, Lubeck and Mozart.
This church building fortunately still has original murals surrounding the main and side altars that were painted by a Bavarian born artist named Raphael Pfeister.
The ceiling is still intact and was painted by Hungarian born Josef Vargas who lived in the Black Rock neighborhood in the early 1900's. Many visitors who grew up in this parish tell us the interior looks the same as it did when they were young.
The concert will take place on Wednesday, April 18 at 7 pm at the former St. Francis Xavier Church at 157 East Street. There will be a $10.00 donation at the door to help us heat this building.
Organ Concert - Rev. Canon Earle King
Date: Sunday, October 13th 2017
The Rev. Canon Earle King has served as Rector of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, Grand Island, since 1987. He received a Bachelor of Music in Organ from the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, and a Master of Music in Organ at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma.
The Schlicker Organ Company was founded in 1930 by Herman L. Schlicker. Schlicker apprenticed with organ firms in Germany France and Denmark before emigrating to the United States in 1920. He worked at Wurlitzer Organ before starting his own organ company.
The organ at the Buffalo Religious Arts Center was built in 1935 and is Opus #2, meaning that it was the second organ built by Schlicker Organ Company.